Monday, June 2, 2014

Almost There: Last Blog Post Before Ghana!

On Sunday Josh drove with me to Louisville and helped me get settled into my room for my week of internship training with Team Expansion. We enjoyed the three and a half hour car ride there and the exploring time we had between our arrival and when I needed to check in. The house I was staying in was a little way from Team Expansion's headquarters and we ended up holding on to my suitcase and backpack with our legs as we went backwards down the bumpy road on a golf-cart. It was a shallow but friendly reminder of the tuk-tuk rides we used to have in Thailand. 



Training was very different than I expected but in a very good way! I thought that most of our training would revolve around classroom-style learning but we spent a significant amount of time outside and interacting with each other. The longest team-building activity we did actually took place on a log. Our instructors brought us to a clearing and then told all of us to stand on a long (and very skinny) piece of wood so they could tell us what to do. As soon as we were all standing in line, they explained that all 19 of us needed to re-arrange ourselves from the tallest to the shortest. Every time someone fell/stepped off the log, we had to start over again. It took us a while to figure out how to "pass" people down the log but an hour and a half later, we finally accomplished this task. This was definitely an interesting experience for me, as I was one of the shortest and after an hour and a half of grabbing onto teammates to move to the end of the log, I realized that 3/4 of the sweat I had on my shirt was not my own. Talk about bonding with your teammates!

Ghana Team: Josh, me, Lindsey and Jesse 

My team for this summer is absolutely amazing. God has blessed me with a wonderful group of people who are also desiring to do some kind of mission work long-term. I loved getting to know my teammates more last week and even though half of us just met for the first time during training, it already feels like we have known each other so much longer. We are all so excited to go to Africa and started practicing our soccer skills in preparation for our work with the youth in the villages! 

Pray for us as we enter into Ghana with a learner's heart to know more about this group of people that God dearly loves! 







1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to keeping up through your blog. It helps me know how to pray and what you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures. I'll be praying for you guys. Much love to you, Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete