Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A Key to Victory




It’s hard to live in a world not ruled by God. We are placed in a culture that thrives on living with the one consistency of sin. Many times when I venture out into the “real world” I feel as if I’m walking into a battle zone or fog of despair. This sounds dramatic but when faced with the reality of how things should be compared with how they are, even this description falls short. There is no question the path we are on has drastically swerved from our Creator’s intent.
Christians are supposed to stand out of this fog of sin. Yes, sometimes there will be steps backward, but they are to be moving consistently toward God. When I look around, this is not so. A vicious truth that continues to slap me in the face is that I have more faith in the power of sin than the power of God.  I am far more likely to have faith I will repeat a sin within the hour than that God will answer my prayers or keep His promises. This binds me to a lifestyle unable to claim victory over sin. Used to sin I expect it at every corner. I am not surprised to see it rear its ugly head anymore - it has become a fixed feature in my life. Of course the end result of this battle with sin must be defeat, for it always is. It cannot be any different...

Or can it? 

Confused at the discrepancy between the Bible's talk of victory over sin and my own lifestyle of continual failure, I glance around. Is anyone else living this life the Bible proclaims Christians have access to? I look again, what do I see? Christians, including myself, living defeated lives. Is it even possible to live otherwise?

Then again...perhaps the question is not, what do I see? but what do I know?

I know my God is greater and more powerful than sin. I know that through Him I have access to the same power. There is victory r on the other side of the door of which I have been given the key.

But this is different than what I see…

God knows this. That is why He has called us to “walk by faith and not by sight” (2 Corinthians 5:7). I take the Bible as fact and choose to believe that over my experience. Through Christ we all have been given the key. Let us not hold it feebly in our hands. Let us not slump in our cells, pondering why we are still in prison though we have been rescued. Let us stop looking at others, ourselves and everything but God and His word. Let us not use our physical eyes to determine what is fact and what is fiction! If you have the key,  pick it up. Unlock the door. Take a step. 

The result? 
Victory. 
Consistency.
Freedom from sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment