Saturday, December 22, 2012

You Restore My Soul





I stop. Someone is calling me.

You're speak to my heart, whispering my name so quietly that I can only hear Your precious voice when I refuse to let distractions rule my life. This gift of peace You offer me is exactly what I have been yearning for. For You know the desires of my heart and my unspoken needs.
I steal away from my endless list of what still needs to be accomplished. Perhaps it is not even what "needs" to be done but what I want or feel obligated to do. 

"My child, come....come and rest"

I follow wherever You lead me. Sometimes You call me to journey over rocky ground and other seasons You lead me by green pastures. Regardless, You always restore my soul. Today I follow you alongside still waters. 
I slide down a small hill and settle among the rocks. I am grateful for the solitude. 
A short distance in front of me the creek bubbles in merriment, 
It seems to laugh at the fast pace of all humanity, finding joy in its own daily routine. 
Surrounding me are remnants of branches. Winter has not left empty handed. As usual it has carried away all the leaves, everything green is long gone.  Even the trees looming over the brook are mere shadows of what they once were. Sighing, I roll over. Warm stones line my back. A breeze tickles my face. I glance up and see a green vine twisting up a tree. In the midst of things dead and decaying, this plant shines its face brightly, a reminder there is always growth regardless of the season. Human eyes are greatly limited to what they can and cannot see God is cultivating. There is always work being done.

Sunlight warms my face, as if God Himself is smiling down on me. By green pastures and quiet waters He has restored my soul. I know the sound of my shepherd's voice and I trust He guides me in the path of righteousness for His sake. When (not if) I face evil I will not fear, for He is with me (Psalm 24).   

No comments:

Post a Comment